Welcome to the SpeedRead archive

You have reached the SpeedRead archive. To the right, you can look up all posts from 2008 to July, 2014.If you have come here looking for the SpeedRead website, it has moved to speedread.us

Monday, July 20, 2009

F1 roundup 7/20/09

Danica Patrick, America’s “hottest” racer, has pretty much ruled out a switch to F1.

The Andretti Green Racing driver, whose contract expires at the end of the year, told the Los Angeles Times in an interview she prefers to remain in the States.

Honda Indy Toronto


"I've had opportunities to take it a step further with Formula One, and I don't want to lead anyone down a path. It's not in my heart to go there. I've explored Europe before. I particularly like to be here and I like my family and I like my friends and I like my creature comforts of my home country."

Patrick’s name has come up in connection with Team US F1, but the driver confirms that the team, currently testing talent, hasn’t even called.

While F1 seems to have dodged the bullet, NASCAR has yet to be so lucky. Much of the interview centers on Patrick’s ability to make the switch to the 3,400-pound stock car.

Patrick’s likely target, should she stay in IndyCar, would be Ganassi.

Official: Alguersuari in for Toro Rosso

Toro Rosso officially announced Spaniard Jaime Alguersuari as Sebastien Buemi’s teammate in Hungary, making him the youngest ever F1 driver.

Trulli closing in on contract extention

AUTOSPORT reports Jarno Trulli is considering an offer to remain with Toyota in 2010.

“I am happy about my performance and confidence. And for sure in my mind I don't have the feeling I want to stop because I feel I have a lot to do. I feel very strong and very competitive, so I just hope I can stay in F1 and I am confident, but it is difficult to talk at the moment because the teams are busy doing other things at the moment.”

According to sources who spoke to AUTOSPORT, the offer came on the table after Kimi Raikkonen rejected an approach from Toyota.

F1 champion’s son killed in F2 race

An accident at Brands Hatch in a Formula 2 race claimed the life of Henry Surtees, son of John Surtees.

In the second race of the weekend, Surtees was struck by the wheel of another car and knocked unconscious. His car ran off the track and into the barrier.

He was airlifted to Royal London Hospital where he later died.

Colombian driver murdered

Driver Ricardo Londono and two associates were shot and killed last weekend leaving a spa in the Colombian town of San Bernardo del Viento.

Londono made an attempt in the early 1980s to become Colombia’s first F1 driver when he signed a deal with Ensign prior to the Brazilian race. He was denied his superlicence after tangling with Keke Rosberg in a pre-race acclimatisation session, and was replaced by Marc Surer. Because an entry was made in his name, he is considered his country’s first F1 driver.

He retired in 1985. Much of his property was seized by the Colombian government, which claimed his money came from drug trafficking.

---

Finally, over at ITV-F1, James Allen asks, Why is Toro Rosso an ejector seat?

---

SpeedRead's on Facebook - Become a fan!
Don't miss the top stories of the day, subscribe to the SpeedRead Web newspaper now! -- Email SpeedRead -- Learn more about author C.D. Six

Share/Bookmark







No comments:

Original content copyright © 2008-2014 C.D. Six. All Rights Reserved.

Please do not use original content or images without the author's permission.