Welcome to the SpeedRead archive

You have reached the SpeedRead archive. To the right, you can look up all posts from 2008 to July, 2014.If you have come here looking for the SpeedRead website, it has moved to speedread.us

Monday, August 3, 2009

Piquet says he’s been fired

Nelson Piquet released a statement on his official Web site saying he was told by Renault his services were no longer needed, and took an opportunity to lash out at the team.

F1 Grand Prix of Turkey - Qualifying


“I have received notice from the Renault F1 team of its intention to stop me from driving for them in the current F1 season. I feel a sense of relief for the end of the worst period of my career, and the possibility that I can now move on and put my career back on the right track and try to recover my reputation of a fast, winning driver. I am a team player and there are dozens of people I have worked with in my career who would vouch for my character and talent, except unfortunately the person that has had the most influence on my career in Formula 1.”

It was widely rumored Piquet would be out after Hungary, and angry words in the press aimed at team boss Flavio Briatore surely did little to help his cause.

Piquet, whose spins and off track excursions have become fodder for pundits, was regularly outperformed by his teammate Fernando Alonso during his season and a half at the wheel.

The Brazilian claims much of that was due to unequal treatment. Piquet claims Briatore tried to motivate him in his rookie season by threatening to fire him, while no attention was paid to his side of the garage.

“For the 2009 season Briatore, again acting both as my manager and team boss of Renault F1, promised me everything would be different, that I would get the attention I deserved but had never received, and that I would get ‘at least equal treatment’ inside the team. He made me sign a performance-based contract, requiring me to score 40% of Fernando Alonso's points by mid-way through the season. Despite driving with Fernando, two-time world champion and a really excellent driver, I was confident that, if I had the same conditions, I would easily attain the 40% of points required by the contract.”

Instead, Piquet claims he was shorted in testing miles in comparison to the Spaniard, scheduled at the worst times, and with a heavier car in poorer weather conditions. He claims throughout 2009 he didn’t receive the same upgrades his teammate did, costing him vital tenths which would have allowed him to outperform Alonso.

“I always believed that having a manager was being a part of a team and having a partner. A manager is supposed to encourage you, support you, and provide you with opportunities. In my case it was the opposite. Flavio Briatore was my executioner.”

The full statement

Plus, the exclusive Ferrari.com interview with Felipe Massa

---

SpeedRead's on Facebook - Become a fan!
Don't miss the top stories of the day, subscribe to the SpeedRead Web newspaper now! -- Email SpeedRead -- Learn more about author C.D. Six

Share/Bookmark







1 comment:

signals3_t5 said...

Great person and great fired ridding on the rod way




Get More Details

Original content copyright © 2008-2014 C.D. Six. All Rights Reserved.

Please do not use original content or images without the author's permission.