Welcome to the SpeedRead archive

You have reached the SpeedRead archive. To the right, you can look up all posts from 2008 to July, 2014.If you have come here looking for the SpeedRead website, it has moved to speedread.us

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

NASCAR team plays down Busch to F1 rumors

US F1 may be interested in Kyle Busch, but his NASCAR team has played down the idea the star could move to the squad when his contract runs out after 2010.


Kansas Lottery 300


In a story in USA Today last week, US F1 sporting director Peter Windsor talked openly of his interest in the Joe Gibbs Racing driver.

"If he wanted to drive for us in 2011, we'd certainly be keen on that. I think there'll be a lot of speculation about that as time goes on. If I was Kyle, I'd be saying to myself, yeah, those guys all talk the talk, let's see what they do, let's see what the car's like. Let's see what the race shop is like. Fair enough. We're going to do a good job. I know when Kyle gets to see it, I'm pretty sure it'll get his pulse rate going."


Busch's team, through a spokesman, has said there is nothing to the talk, and Busch himself says he has yet to have direct contact from anyone within the fledgling F1 team.

"I have not been talked to, no," Busch is quoted by SpeedTV.com. "I don’t know if (Jeff) Dickerson (business manager and spotter) has or not. I toss the idea around — it’s definitely something I wouldn’t shoot down but I don’t think it’s the right time yet in my career and where I’m at. I’m happy with where I’m at."


Busch said in February he might be willing to take a crack at F1 if he could first win a NASCAR championship.

US F1's stated goal is two American drivers, but the complete lack of American drivers with F1 superlicenses means the team will likely do without when it makes its debut.

That is something Windsor hopes to change.

"I don't want to be arrogant about it, but I feel confident I can find, with the help of others, a Nigel Mansell in the United States," USA Today quotes Windsor. "We can see the drivers who have the right touch, feel, suppleness and mental approach to be worthy of being a world champion."


Glock's season over

Toyota has announced the injured Timo Glock will sit out the season ender in Abu Dhabi.

As he did in Brazil, Kamui Kobayashi will fill in.

Glock suffered a cracked vertebra and a cut leg in a qualifying crash at Suzuka.

Donington deadline passes, British GP back in doubt

Donington Park's deadline to prove it had funding to stage next year's British Grand Prix has passed, putting the future of the race in doubt.

Silverstone in angling to reclaim the event, but despite saying earlier in the year the race was a definite, F1 ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone seems to have changed his tune.

"I want a British Grand Prix, of course, but we are not going to do special rates for Britain," The BBC quotes Ecclestone. "If they [Silverstone] can't make it work then don't do it. If that happens, there won't be a British Grand Prix. Simple as that."


Renault's long-term exit strategy?

Grandprix.com discusses talk Renault is looking to sell it's F1 team at the end of the current Concorde agreement by offering part of the squad up to a shareholder now with an option to buy in the future. Don't miss the top stories of the day, subscribe to the SpeedRead Web newspaper now! -- Email SpeedRead -- Learn more about author C.D. Six

Share/Bookmark







No comments:

Original content copyright © 2008-2014 C.D. Six. All Rights Reserved.

Please do not use original content or images without the author's permission.