Welcome to the SpeedRead archive
Sunday, July 11, 2010
Sebastian Vettel suffered a terrible start that not only saw him lose out to Webber, but clash with Lewis Hamilton, go off track and suffer a puncture that put him to the back of the field. Only a timely safety car would allow him to battle back for a seventh place finish.
Hamilton would go on to offer Webber his stiffest competion, but it was soon clear second was the best he was going to do.
Nico Rosberg was third for Mercedes, holding off Jenson Button. Rosberg continues to have the best of Michael Schumacher, who finised ninth. Williams, Sauber and Force India all picked up valuable points.
Ferrari suffered another day to forget, with both drivers out of the points. For the second race in a row, Fernando Alonso was penalized, this time for cutting a corner to get by Robert Kubica. Instead of letting the Renault have the place back, the Spaniard was rewarded with a drive-through once Kubica retired.
So Red Bull closes the gap heading to Germany. "Not bad for a number two driver" was Webber's take on the radio, proving much remains to be sorted out following the team's decision to give Vettel one of Webber's wings Saturday.
McLaren still hold the edge in the constructors' while Hamilton and Button both are ahead of the Red Bull duo in the drivers' championship. If Red Bull wants to take this thing, it had best get its house in order.
- Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull-Renault 1h 24m 38.200s
- Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren +00:01.360
- Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes 00:21.307
- Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren 00:21.986
- Rubens Barrichello (Brazil) Williams - Cosworth 00:31.456
- Kamui Kobayashi (Japan) BMW Sauber-Ferrari 00:32.171
- Sebastian Vettel (Germany) RedBull - Renault 00:36.734
- Adrian Sutil (Germany) Force India-Mercedes 00:40.932
- Michael Schumacher (Germany) Mercedes 00:41.599
- Nico Hulkenberg (Germany) Williams - Cosworth 00:42.012
- Vitantonio Liuzzi (Italy) Force India-Mercedes 00:42.459
- Sebastien Buemi (Switzerland)Toro Rosso - Ferrari 00:47.627
- Vitaly Petrov (Russia) Renault 00:59.374
- Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari 01:02.385
- Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari 01:07.489
- Jarno Trulli (Italy) Lotus - Cosworth 1 lap
- Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) Lotus - Cosworth 1 lap
- Timo Glock (Germany) Virgin - Cosworth 2 laps
- Karun Chandhok (India) HRT - Cosworth 2 laps
- Sakon Yamamoto (Japan) HRT - Cosworth 2 laps
- Jaime Alguersuari (Spain) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 8 laps
- Pedro de la Rosa (Spain) BMW Sauber - Ferrari 23 laps
- Robert Kubica (Poland) Renault 33 laps
- Lucas Di Grassi (Brazil) Virgin - Cosworth 43 laps
---SpeedRead Web newspaper now! -- Email SpeedRead -- Learn more about author C.D. Six
Please do not use original content or images without the author's permission.